These are the top ten basic items every woman should have in her wardrobe in 2016. This is for the fashionable ladies of London. Feel like you always have trouble putting together an outfit? Make sure you have these basics, and you will be covered for any occasion, including those rushed-decision-outfit situations – always leaving your house looking fabulous!
1. Pair of great fitting skinny jeans in black or dark blue. You can dress them up with pair of pumps and a dressy shirt, or dress them down with a pair of trainers and a cozy sweater. Make sure they fit nicely around your hips, and choose the rise that fits your body the best. You will find that you are never in doubt of what to pair them with – because they go with everything!
J Brand, Coated Stocking Maria, Black £240 – J Brand, Super Skinny Enigma, Dark Blue £227 – AG Jeans, The stilt, Black £181
2. Dressy jacket with a bit of color – to substitute for that too-basic (borderline boring) black blazer. A dressy jacket in twill, with a bit of color, will elevate your outfit from drab to fab. If the pop of colour does not suit your style – do not worry; a black or navy twill jacket brings an element of texture to your outfit, and is equally as good of a substitute for the ordinary black blazer.
Rebecca Taylor, Graphic tweed jacket, Navy £396 – Rebecca Taylor, Nina Jacket, Black £315 – Rebecca Taylor, STR Boucle Jacket, Navy £421
3. Pair of dress-down sneakers. These are a great stable for dressing down a too-prim outfit, making it more relaxed and cool. These are also great for an overall casual outfit for running errands – choose a pair with an interesting print or texture, to make sure you still look smart, despite being comfortable.
ASH, Cosmic Trainer, White and Silver £151 – Rose Rankin, White Dot Coney Low Top £135 – ASH, Intense Puff/Nappawear Marble £140
4. Cashmere sweater in a neutral color. This sweater dresses up a pair of jeans, or balances out a daring pair of printed trousers. Go with either a V-neck style, or crew-neck – whichever fits your silhouette the best.
Des Petits Hauts, Brisou Pullover, Black £140 – Velvet, Arlette Top, Cream/Black £194 – Autumn Cashmere, Rock and Love, Grey £270
5. Dressy shirt with print. This is essential because it dresses up a pair of jeans, and makes you look classy, but smart. The soft, flowy fabric gives the outfit a feminine feel, whereas the print makes you stand out in the crowd. Wear it on a dinner date with a skirt or a pair of trousers and pumps.
Rebecca Taylor, Long Sleeve Potpourri Paisley Ruffle £221 – Velvet, Arista Top £138 – Pyrus, Bella Top, Colette Print Sunburst £185
6. An element of fur. Now this is what will make or break that ‘I need to get out of the door now!’-look. Hang a pompom on your handbag, or swing on a gilet over your sweater. In 2016, this will be your savior for always looking put-together and fashionable.
Katie&Jo, Fur Pompom Keyring, Blue £28 – Jayley Collection, Long Fur Gilet, Cream £160 – Unreal, Fur Fringe Jacket £251
7. Ankle booties. Perfect with jeans and a shirt or sweater in Winter/Spring, or with a cute dress in the Summer. Ankle booties are the ultimate must have. Make sure that the heel is not too high for the everyday look and comfort. Which colour will you choose – black or brown? Or both?
ASH, Ivana Boots, Chestnut £179 – ASH, Isha Boots, Black £203 – Sam Edelman, Kourtney Suede Boots, Black £180
8. Colourful scarf. A classic – a colourful scarf elevates any outfit, and is quick to throw on if you are in a hurry. Make sure to have one or two to choose from, depending if you feel like bright colours or more neutral.
Beck Söndergaard, Furaha, Dark Blue £49 – Beck Söndergaard, Supersize Nova, Dust Pink £69 – Lily & Lionel, Flores Scarf £116
9. Little Black Dress – also called the LBD. A must for the last minute dinner party invitation, or for when the hubby spontaneously invites you out for dinner at a fancy restaurant. Make sure it hugs your figure in all the right places, and that it is comfortable to wear.
Rebecca Taylor, Sleeveless Silk and Lace Dress, Black £440 – Rebecca Taylor, Lace Pleat Dress, Black £555
10. White or cream dress shirt. This should be a stable in every woman’s wardrobe. If you already have one, opt for one with lace or embroidery for that romantic feel.
Rebecca Taylor, Long Sleeve Lace Inset Top, Snow £260 – Velvet, Ambrosine Top, Cream £246 – Velvet, Rosie Top, White £105
All of the above shown styles are available at Katie&Jo. The styles that are available online will direct you to our online store when you click on the desired style. These styles are merely a fraction of our selection, so come into Katie&Jo and find your basic must haves!